10 Things you need to know about Andreas Gursky
Artsper team regularly looks over all works of art of one artist and chooses 10 of them that the team absolutely wants to keep. Even though it is a completely subjective retrospective, this is the occasion for you to discover again the genius of the artist. This week, Artsper is looking into one of the most famous photographers in the world, Andreas Gursky.
1. Andreas Gursky was born on January 15th, 1955 at Leipzig, Germany.
2. Gursky was trained and influenced by a couple of German photographers, Hilla and Bernd Becher, well-known for their photographs of industrial installations.
3.Today, he is one of the most famous photographers in the world and his photos are among the most expensive.
4. The best qualificative to define Gursky’s work is “breathtaking”. Gursky takes photos of big spaces where human crowds or items accumulation that gives us dizziness.
5. 99 Cent II Diptych (2001) was sold in 2007 for 3,3 millions of dollars while Rhein II (1999) reached 4,3 millions of dollars in 2011 becoming the most expensive photograph of all times.
6. Each of his photographs is a technical exploit with exceptional and huge quality (minimum 3m x 2m).
7. Sometimes, Gursky uses computer means to retouch and gather several photos.
8. He thinks about his photos before taking them and work with his lens like a painter with his canvas.
9.Most of his photos are published in six copies.
10. Gursky is represented by the famous galleries Sprüth Magers and Matthew Marks.
Founded in 2013, Artsper is an online marketplace for contemporary art. Partnering with 1,800 professional art galleries around the world, it makes discovering and acquiring art accessible to all.Learn more