Artsper team regularly looks over all works of art of one artist and chooses 10 of them that the team absolutely wants to keep. Even though it is a completely subjective retrospective, this is the occasion for you to discover again the genius of the artist.
1) Dali was a bit of a Renaissance man and worked on a very wide variety of projects. He produced films: “An Andalusian dog” and “Age of Gold” and also drew the set of Alfred Hitchcock’s movie “Spellbound”.
2) Continuing the cinema trend, Dali was close to Walt Disney whom he nicknamed “Great American Surrealist”. From this mutual admiration was born in 1946 a cartoon, “Destino”, which was finally completed in 2003.
3) This retrospective is not the only one of the artist at Beaubourg. In this way, in 1979, the Centre Pompidou, Paris, already hosted a big part of the artist’s major works.
4) In 1969, Salvador Dali created Chupa Chups’ logo and it hasn’t changed since.
5) At that time, the mercantilism and eccentricity of Dali upset a part of the art environment. Thus, André Breton gave him the nickname of “Avida Dollars”, perfect anagram of the artist.
6) Amanda Lear took some painting classes with Dali and was one of his greatest muses.
7) At the occasion of the launch of a perfume named “Fracas”, Dali, who was in charge of making a work for the store front, came without the work and just threw a cobblestone in the store front.
8) “Gala”, the one who was Dali’s mistress and then wife was no one else than Paul Eluard’s wife.
9) Since Dali’s death, a rumor has spread that at the end of his life, the artist would give his visitors a white sheet which he signed by writing: “Take it, do some Dali and get rich!”